Monday, July 7, 2014

Day Nineteen: (A Long Day) at the Council of Elrond



I would have guessed that we’d divide the Council of Elrond chapter into at least three or four nights, but yesterday found us on a long day-trip. Perfect travel weather for a road trip, and we all agreed we’d push on through the Council chapter. Reading it in one day (though we took breaks between some segments) was challenging and fun; it also gave us some opportunities to unpack the back story a bit as we lunched in a tiny little town we wandered into after missing a turn.

I’m pretty sure that this is the kind of chapter that contemporary writing teachers would tell writers to avoid writing, more’s the pity. Too much talk, not enough action for the current zeitgeist. Tolkien gives us lots of exposition through dialogue, though he does change things up a bit by having different people speak in turn, adding to the unfolding of the story of the Ring up to the present. (My husband reminded me that they tried to up the action quotient in the Jackson film version, by having Gimli try to hammer the Ring and destroy it. I suppose that is a dramatic visual of the frustration they’re all feeling toward the end of the chapter as they discuss what to do with this indestructible, evil object.)   

As a read-aloud, I found this chapter somewhat challenging because there were long, long passages to read in the voice of one character, and then I’d need to make a sudden switch. My voices tend to have very subtle differences, and sometimes I had to make a conscious effort in my head to remember to slow down the cadence and lower the tone when Gandalf was talking, for instance. So many Elf-lords interject various comments into the proceedings that I sort of gave up trying to differentiate, though I tried to invest Elrond with a bit more authority. I need to work on my Legolas. Boromir has a touch of bravado. Dwarfs sound gruffer and grittier; Hobbits speak higher (especially Frodo, whose voice I tend to make light and thin). Strider is grave and noble but speaks more quickly than Gandalf.

Everyone gets a turn here, and almost everyone has something surprising to share. If the stakes weren’t so high, and the concern over the Ring so deep, it might almost be comical the way each person keeps piling news onto the heap, and not much of it is good. We’ve been fighting the good fight in Gondor, but things are looking grim, and by the way, I had a strange dream about a sword and a halfing. What? There are halfings here? And the sword that was broken? And you’re sure you’re Isildur’s heir, Aragorn? What? And a Ring? You mean, it’s really THE Ring? We didn’t know that! Are you sure? Well, why didn’t you do something sooner? What? You were imprisoned, Gandalf? By Saruman? But we thought he was on our side! And he’s raising an army to equal Sauron’s? Well, at least we captured Gollum. What? You mean he escaped? Alas! And Frodo’s been chased here by Nine Riders, so the Nazgul have been let loose again? Are we sure they’re not dead? Too bad, but perhaps it will take them a while to regroup. And by the way, is there some way to get rid of this Ring? Couldn’t we give it to Bombadil or chuck it into the Sea? No? So it has to be destroyed, and it has to be destroyed in the fires of Mt. Doom in Mordor? That’s really not good. Who’s going to manage to get it there?

I love that Bilbo, at the age of 128, offers to try to finish the story he inadvertently “started” – though as Gandalf points out, the Ring’s story is much older than Bilbo, and the Hobbit came into it late. Everyone appreciates the offer though, knowing that Bilbo means it from the bottom of his heart, even though he’s really not quite up to adventuring anymore.

Frodo’s “I will take the Ring…though I do not know the way,” may be one of my favorite lines in the entire story. I almost can’t read it without choking up with emotion. Such great humility and courage in the face of such overwhelming darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment